Monday, March 17, 2008

take a good look

Let's say you were a squirrel walking through a huge forest, and you happened across an enormous tree in the middle of that forest. You could easily tell that it was the largest tree for miles, many squirrels around you could easily agree that it's the largest tree they'd ever seen. But, there's no way of telling, for any squirrel, if that tree is the largest tree in the history of the planet.

Such is the conundrum of Tiger Woods. Everyone agrees he's the best golfer around today, there is really no comparison. Most everybody agrees he's the best golfer there ever was- the problem now everyone seems to be concerning themselves with is whether he's the best golfer there ever will be, or if he's better at golf than Jordan was at Basketball, or Babe was at baseball, or Pele, or Lance Armstrong, or any other in a long line of stupifyingly good athletes.

I watched two shots of his on sunday- I happened to remember that he was tied for the lead going into the day just in time to tune in to him hitting his approach into 18. Then, as he seems to do all the time, he rolled in the longest putt of his week to win at the last by a stroke. I had the most eery feeling watching that putt roll... I felt like I knew it was going in. So awesome. I whooped and hollered and yelled down for the bride to tell her what happened. She didn't care, but I was pretty stoked. I've watched tiger since I was 15 and he was 18, winning his first of three US Amateurs. I watched every stroke of the 97 Masters and watched his chip on 16 in '05 live, screaming like a goon when it dropped. There is nothing more fun than watching this guy win. What a great time to be a golf fan.

No comments: