Saturday, August 16, 2008

Sweet mother of mary.

I was the only one who accepted the HACC Daddy's invite for a round-the-island pre dick evans training ride.

Now... being that I've never gone around the island before, and that I haven't done a ride longer than 60 miles in... i dunno like a year...?... I was a little nervous that I wasn't going to hang with ol man John who just got back from riding five days of the tour de france- and not the flat parts.

We stepped off at 6:30 and rode out to see some fellow HACCers running the Hickam Half Marathon before heading off down Kam to Farrington to Kunia road.

The road up Kunia was the first time that I fell off John's wheel- and this would be a recurring theme. He's looking to do better than ever at the race, whereas I am hoping to finish ahead of someone, anyone really, and that'd be super.

Over Kunia road, across and down the north shore, into wind that made us happy to move at 14 mph... John did about 90% of the pulling and was really cool about it. At mile 70 or so I was already beyond pooped but did not quit and actually felt decent for the last 20 miles or so.

We got back around 1:45 PM... the five digit number in the below photo is total miles traveled today. Should be enough.

1 comment:

Maggs said...

Great ride! So when are you going to sign up for an Ironman?