Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fixing my run, climbing into the mesosphere

I have been working on my running form... see the below photo:

Disregarding the odd hand position (I was rapidly slowing from a kickass Tinman run) and the large letters "Proof" written across the middle, note the angle of my right foot. This is a bad thing.

Ever since I was a kid I've been the opposite of pigeon toed... I don't know what that is so I'll call it "Peregrine Falcon Toed"... I walk with my toes pointed out. I was self conscious about it in High School because looking around I noticed that the more out-pointy a persons toes were when they walked, the bigger dork they were. This was not a scientific study, but had enough of an impact that I've always been self-aware of my out-pointedness toe orientation factor.

Anyhow I talked to my down homie Bryant at the sports fitness center and he said I probably need to correct this or I'll have knee problems in a few years- the only thing saving me now is youth. So I've got extra stretches and exercise that I do, and I've pretty much shelved my non-supportive $125 tri shoes. I've found it's really hard to learn to walk and run in a different way.

In other news, I ran today, tried to keep my toes aligned. here's some graphs. Yay Graphs!

And in even more other news, here's my garmin 405's data from last saturday's around-the-island ride. It thinks I rode 87 miles in 11 hours, which is 40 miles shorter and 5 hours longer than I rode. the one thing that is ABSOLUTELY 100% CORRECT IS THE 55,000 Feet of climbing! That's 10 miles, or mount everest twice, suckaz!

GPS don't lie.

2 comments:

Maggs said...

Find a line and run on it. Put both your feet on it (one after another). It should help get the wayward feet on track quickly. For the arms, run with two sticks (one in each hand). You'll stab yourself if you crossover a lot.

Liane and Kari said...

Hey Jon--I am so sorry, but this is a DNA issue. I have the same problem--it is like my knees don't face forward unless my feet are pointed out. I am glad that you have married Rebekah--you have a good chance of passing along only perfect genes. love, your mom